Sunday, January 12, 2014

THE LONELY HIPSTER—Excerpt

the lonely hipster cover

We're getting close to the release date of my next mystery novella, The Lonely Hipster! To whet your appetite, here's an excerpt from the book. And, if you're a member of Goodreads, The Lonely Hipster has its own Goodreads page! Feel free to add it if you're into that sort of thing.

And now here's a peek at our lonely hipster detective in action. Enjoy!

Dubiously, Adam closed his eyes. He felt Moira touch his hand and a zing traveled up his arm.
“Okay, now. In your mind, I want you to replay finding Old Man Stanton, starting from the beginning, and describe it to me. But instead of telling me what you see, tell me what you smell and hear, and touch if it’s applicable. Ready?”
Adam took a deep breath. “Cut grass. Bad Books.”
“Bad Books?”
“It’s a band. I was listening to music. Ummm vibration from the mower. Then a loud pop. Silence. Too much silence, not even a bird. Cool grass on the sides of my feet. The slap of my flip-flops on the stone steps. Rough stone under my left hand. The faintest tinkle of falling glass.”
Adam stopped and swallowed hard. Moira reached out to squeeze his hand again, and he squeezed back.
“There’s a strange smell. Gunpowder? But that’s only part of it. There’s something else, something I’ve never come across till now.”
“Keep going.”
Adam drew a shaky breath. “The curtain on my face. Stiff, rough. Crunching as I walk in to the study. The glass cutting the bottoms of my feet. There’s that smell again. It’s perfume.”
He opened his eyes a found himself staring directly into Moira’s. “Whoever was in the room before me wore perfume.”

Will Adam be able to sniff out the killer, or is the perfume a red herring? Questions! Find out later this month when The Lonely Hipster is released.