Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Eat Pray Love Moment


Three years ago, I was 28 years old, and I thought I knew where I was going with my life--I was going to get my Ph.D. and be professor. Although, to be fair, I had my doubts even then about this plan, I was nevertheless sticking to it. Because staying in school is easier than getting a job? Possibly.

Then I actually taught, and found some other jobs, and I realized a few things: one, I do not have the patience for teaching. I realize the challenges I face in the classroom are the same ones other teachers face, but I'm just not equipped to deal with those challenges. Instead of getting better at handling them, I get worse. And two, art history didn't really interest me the way it used to. Not that it was ever my passion, mind--that was reading and books. But I did like to learn about it. Nowadays putting more art history stuff in my brain feels like a major effort.

Essentially, because I didn't listen to that little inner voice that was telling me I needed to do some major rethinking, I had a mini-breakdown and completely checked out of school and work. Yes, I went a little Elizabeth Gilbert, except I didn't get travel or do anything fun.

Now, physically and financially I'm in almost the exact same place, but emotionally and directionally I'm a little lost.

Have you ever had to change careers or goals, and how did you deal with it?



This post is part of Blogust. For more information, post topics, and to sign up, visit Beyond Elsewhere.