Friday, August 3, 2012

Top 5 Twitter Pet Peeves

tweets about the olympics

Pet peeves! There are so many, how can I choose just five? I think I'll limit this list to Twitter pet peeves, just to give it some focus. I don't spend a lot of time on FaceBook, but I do on Twitter (according to RescueTime, I spend 6 1/2 hours a day on the computer, and nearly 4 of that is on TweetDeck), and I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty precise about what's going to make me annoyed enough to unfollow someone.

  1. Saying "lol" all the time. Like ALL THE TIME, multiple times per tweet. "That was so funny, lol. lol you guys should have seen it." "lol Look at the sunset." "Just walked into a wall and broke my nose, lol." I am not loling at your lols; stop doing that!
  2. People who believe their tweets are so important they can't carry on a conversation with you without making sure everyone else can see their responses. They usually do this by RTing your tweet, then putting their reply ahead of it, or putting a period in front of the @reply, or putting the @reply at the end of the tweet. Most of the people who do this see every tweet as a promotion of themselves--I actually literally saw a tweet that the other day that said, "I need to focus my tweets on promoting myself, so I can't carry on a private conversation with you." Wow, unfollow. Listen, you do realize that if people want to see your @replies to others, they can tweak Twitter's settings to do that, right? If they don't, you're just annoying them and making yourself look like an attention whore, which probably isn't the best message when you're trying to promote yourself.
  3. Boobs. I don't need to see pictures of your boobs at any time, but most especially I don't need them popping up in my Twitter stream constantly while you're tweeting. And do you really think that's professional, Author Who's Trying To Promote Her Books On Twitter?
  4. Celebrities who only have conversations with one another. You guys can't text?
  5. And last but not least, particularly in irony: People who whine about what other people tweet. Twitter is an open forum where anyone can say anything--that's the beauty of it! It's freedom of speech at work. Likewise, you are free to unfollow a person at any time. IF SOMEONE IS ANNOYING YOU, UNFOLLOW THEM. Don't tweet or @them about how the hashtag they're using is clogging up your twitter stream, or the joke they just made was completely inappropriate, or you don't want to hear about what they had for lunch. If people are annoying you on twitter, it's not their problem, it's yours. Unfollow or stfu.


This post is part of Blogust. Check out Beyond Elsewhere's blog for more information, daily topics, and to sign up!


Powered by ScribeFire.