Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why Do I Write?

blogust button

Hello, my as-yet small group of readers. Since this is the official start of my blog, I thought joining Blogust, hosted by Beyond Elsewhere, would be a great way to kick things off. What is Blogust? Basically posting every day in the month of August. There are daily prompts that sound really interesting. I encourage you all to join!

Today's topic is very appropriate for me: Why do you write? I like most people write simply because they want to communicate, and I do too. Writing is one of the few mediums where I feel absolutely comfortable expressing myself. At the same time, writing is mysterious--how does a story work, what makes a book "good" or make it click with certain readers put others off? Where does inspiration come from? There are no certain answers to these questions, and anyone who says otherwise is putting you on.

To me, writing is a world of possibilities--a world of ifs instead of thens. When you open a book, anything can happen. One of my earliest memories, in fact, is of sitting in front of my mom's bookshelf and imagining what stories were embedded in the pages of all those books. Writing has just as much, if not more, chance for possibility and discovery, if you're willing to wonder.



Powered by ScribeFire.