Sunday, August 26, 2012

Twitterati

twitter bird

I have accounts on several social media sites, but the only one I use with any regularity is Twitter. One of the people I follow--or "tweeps," as they're called, or "twitterati" when I'm feeling punchy--once referred to Twitter a giant cocktail party, and I think that's a very apt description. Like any social group, you tend to gravitate towards people with similar interests, and sometimes you're more closely tied to another than you might think.

Twitter isn't for everyone, I'm ready to admit--it tends to attract people who like words and writing. There are tons of authors, journalists, and bloggers on twitter. You wouldn't think you could get a lot said in 180 characters, but you actually can. And if you can't, trying to fit what you have to say into that space is a fun challenge.

I really like Twitter because it's simple. You can tweet anything you want within the character limit, follow anyone you want, unfollow anyone, and drop in or out of the conversation at any time.

I also love following events on Twitter, like award shows or breaking news. You really do get the news before anyone else on Twitter, and you experience it with everyone else.

Twitter is a dream method of communication, in my opinion. And that's why I'm on there so much!


This post is part of Blogust, a meme where we post every day in August. For more information, topics, or to sign up, visit Beyond Elsewhere.



Powered by ScribeFire.